Things Men Don’t Want to Talk About: Our Feelings
In this installment of a five part series titled “Things Men Don’t Want to Talk About”
for the Manlihood ManCast, Josh Hatcher of Manlihood.com talks about the way men don’t like to talk about their feelings.
Dr. Amanda Rose of the University of Missouri did a survey of 2000 school aged boys and girls to explore feelings.
“For years, popular psychologists have insisted boys and men would like to talk about their problems, but are held back by fears of embarrassment or appearing weak. However, when we asked young people how talking about their problems would make them feel, boys didn’t express angst or distress about discussing problems any more than girls. Instead, boys’ responses suggest they just don’t see talking about problems to be a particularly useful activity.”
- The reason men don’t like to talk about these things is not because of a deep shame or a fear of opening up.
- We don’t talk about our feelings generally, because we don’t see the point.
- There is a time and place to talk about how we feel.
- As men, we do tend to compartmentalize and shove emotion aside in order to function.
- That CAN backfire. We need to properly process our feelings. We may need to talk about it. There IS a point. But it’s not THE point.
Get REIGNITE: A MAN’S FIELD GUIDE TO TAKING BACK HIS LIFE https://www.manlihood.com/reignite/
For more: http://joshhatcher.com | https://manlihood.com
Join the ManCave Today: http://facebook.com/groups/manlihoodmancave
Do you have a question you’d like to have answered on The Manlihood ManCast?
Send it to us here: https://manlihood.com/ask-a-man